Marble is a beautiful and luxurious natural stone that adds sophistication and elegance to any home. However, it requires special care and maintenance to keep it looking its best. One common issue with marble is etching, which is the dulling or lightening of the surface due to acid exposure.
Fortunately, there are several simple steps you can take to prevent etching on your marble surfaces.
- Clean up spills immediately. Marble is especially susceptible to etching from acidic substances such as lemon juice, wine, and vinegar. If a spill occurs, wipe it up immediately with a clean cloth and neutral cleaner.
- Use coasters and place mats. To prevent spills from reaching your marble surfaces, use coasters and place mats whenever possible. This will help to protect the marble from acidic substances.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals. Harsh chemicals such as bleach and ammonia can cause damage to your marble surfaces. Instead, use a neutral cleaner specifically designed for marble.
- Invest in a sealer. A good quality sealer will help to protect your marble from etching and other types of damage. Re-apply the sealer on a regular basis to maintain its effectiveness.
- Use a cutting board. When preparing food on your marble countertops, always use a cutting board to avoid scratching the surface.
By following these simple steps, you can help to prevent etching on your marble surfaces and keep them looking beautiful for years to come. If you have any questions about maintaining your marble, don’t hesitate to contact the experts at Cornerstone Refinishing. We are here to help you keep your marble looking its best!